Wednesday, July 9, 2008

summer fruit tart

I don't think I've mentioned it before, but I'm a self-proclaimed Martha fan. Her recipes just work. So when I wanted a simple yet stunning summer dessert, checking her website first was a no-brainer. My version is adapted from her Fresh Cherry Tart dessert. Graham cookies are hard to come by here, so I used speculaas, and the wild peaches were calling my name at the market, so I just had to snatch up a couple. And since I was at it, I used apricot jam as the glaze. The peaches were so lovely and pale, I didn't want them stained with the red raspberry jam.




Summer Fruit Tart adapted from Martha Stewart Everyday Food.

- 5 ounces speculaas cookies
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 ounces bar cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound fresh sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 wild peaches, pitted and sliced into small wedges
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam


- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor, pulse speculaas cookies and 2 tablespoons sugar until finely ground. If you're like me, and not in the possession of one, a heavy mortar and pestle works just as fine.
- Add butter and stir until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Transfer mixture to a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Using your fingers and the back of a spoon firmly press mixture into bottom and up sides of pan. Bake until browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, vanilla, and 1/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add cream, and beat until soft peaks form. Spread mixture in cooled crust. Scatter cherries and peaches on top.
- In a small saucepan, combine jam and 1 teaspoon water. Heat over low until liquefied, about 2 minutes. Using a pastry brush, dab cherries and peaches with glaze. Refriegerate tart for at least 30 minutes.


*Feel free to substitute any soft summer fruit as the topping. I think strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or even apricots would work just as well here.

2 comments:

Mariana said...

Is this the one we had the other night as dessert at your house?? i was fantaaaastic!!! so yummy!

Errr..does Martha work with grams? I like Nigella... probably because she is a piggy, just like me.
:)

reya said...

yeah it was! the hardest thing about this tart was finding the pan. it's almost impossible to find one with a removable bottom.

martha doesn't, but the work of converting (almost) the entire recipe pays off.
lol@piggy

hope you're feeling better by the way....i owe you an email